- Review the Components of Art: Subject Matter, Content, Form & Context. CLO 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
- Explore photography as a communication medium. CLO 1, 8.
- Promote visual understanding of the differences between subject matter, content, form and context. CLO 4,5, 6, 7, 8.
- Explore light, depth the field and vantage point to define the emphasis of the photographic image. CLO 2, 3, 6.
In this project you will explore the same setting to portrait subject matter, content, form and context. Choose six (6) different settings and photograph each of them under different circumstances to intentionally use subject matter, content, form and/or context to convey your idea.
- Explore light by photographing the same subject matter during different times of the day, against and facing light, and/or by turning the flash on or off.
- Explore depth the field by focusing on different parts of the composition, or getting closer or far from the setting.
- Explore different vantage points by moving yourself around the setting and photographing from different angles.
Digital Camera | Internet Access | Digital Storage
Step 2: Choose six (6) different settings or compositions and stick to them.
Step 3: Photograph each of the settings at least ten (10) times shifting your emphasis from subject matter, to form, to content. Explore light, depth the field and vantage point to control your emphasis.
Step 4: Store your images without editing or manipulating them. You can store the images in your camera, flash drive, cloud storage (Google drive, Dropbox, etc.), but you need to share your photos in Whatsapp and post to your Portfolio site.
Step 5: In small groups share ALL your photographs and:
- Select the setting that best differentiates subject matter, content and form.
- Select the setting that least differentiates subject matter, content and form.
Step 6: Still in your group discuss why and how one study is more successful than the other. Write down your thoughts.
Step 7: Create six Contact Sheet with your best photographs (one for each setting) and present with your conclusions to the class.
Step 8: Edited in Photoshop and uploaded the best photograph of all the series to WordPress.
This project is worth 5 points.
- Took at least 60 photographs. (1.5)
- Created and uploaded the six Contact Sheets to WP Portfolio and presented in class. (2)
- Edited and uploaded to WordPress the best photograph (1.5)